Academic Performance and Creativity are both on a sharp decline. Why?
- Over investment in technology (tablets, smartboards, laptops).
- The best countries (academically) have classrooms that are "utilitarian and sparse" with old fashioned chalk boards.
- Overemphasis on sports.
- Low selectivity in teacher training.
- Culture of Disrespect.
- Schools seeking to make education cool and fun because it then requires less classroom management.
- No! Solution isn't to make school an arcade. It's to create a culture where students want to please adults, not look cool to peers!
- There is a decline in college degrees and critical thinking barely improves over four years even when they do go to college -- the education is mediocre.
"Simply being exposed to American culture in the interval between 2000-2012--the era of Lady Gaga, Akon, Eminem, Justin Bieber, and Miley Cyrus--might have a corrosive effect on rational thinking (Sax 90)The Upshot
- Don't jump on the tech bandwagon by being fooled by its proposed "educational value".
- Inculcate the desire to please adults not peers.
- Creativity is necessary for success and academic performance.