Sunday, October 26, 2008

In the agony suffered for You...

In the agony suffered for You,
the wounded find the scent of balm:
The memory of you consoles the souls of lovers.
Thousands in every corner, seeking a glimpse of You,
cry out like Moses, "Lord, show me Yourself!"
I see thousands of lovers lost in a desert of grief,
wandering aimlessly and saying hopefully,
"O God! O God!"
I see breasts scorched by the burning of separation from You;
I see eyes weeping in love's agony.
Dancing down the lane of blame and censure,
your lovers cry out, "Poverty is my source of pride!"
Pir-i Ansar has quaffed the wine of longing:
Like Majnun he wanders drunk and perplexed
through the world.
- Abd Allah Ansari's introduction to the Munajat

2 comments:

  1. wow! Subhan'Allah, this is beautiful!
    is this the complete intro, or just the first few lines?

    ReplyDelete
  2. AsSalamu'alaykum Sidi,

    Allahu Akbar. Yes, this is it in its entirety.

    The book is a nice one to have -- the hikam of ibn Ata'illah and the munajat of Abd Allah Ansari together in one book, translated by Victor Danner.

    I pray all is well with you.

    Wassalam,
    Salikah

    ReplyDelete