Spiritual Life in Ottoman Turkey and
Some especially beautiful contentions of this new set:
- Our patience is the awaiting of delights for us. His patience is the awaiting of delights for us.
- Be a good Muslim and you won't want to lie. Be a very good Muslim and you won't need to lie.
- We have not grown out of the Shari‘a, we have shrunk out of it.
- Religion desires to change the age. The age desires to change religion.
- The reading of Scripture is sufficient; but we are not sufficient readers.
- Incarnation: the finite can contain the Infinite.
- To know the saint is to know the age.
- They are not the solution; God is the solution.
- Each gender was created only that the other might give thanks.
- We can curse, or we can be discursive.
- A man who would marry a feminist is not worth obeying.
- Praying through someone is not praying to someone. Praying because someone is praying is praying to someone.
- Your property belongs to you if you belong to God. If you belong to Satan you belong to your property.
- Hear, O Israel, the Lord thy God is not Israel.
- The cause of modern panic is non-referentiality.
- ‘Progress and catastrophe are two sides of the same coin'. (Hannah Arendt)
- Fun is serious.
- The Alone wishes to save us from loneliness. ‘Come to the prayer!'
- Those that are wedded to the science of this generation may be orphaned in the next.
- Islam liberates because it is rooted in our natures.
- Which is the bigger prison: Islam in the eyes of modernity, or modernity in the eyes of Islam?